Can we visit family members outside of Arizona on the weekends?

Yes, you may travel outside Arizona during weekends, but you must return in time for training on Monday at 8:00 AM. Please remember to always carry your passport and DS-2019 with you at all times.

Do I need to prepare some cash?

It's strongly advised to bring some cash with you, especially for the first couple of days. Participants will arrive to Phoenix on the weekend and stipends will usually be distributed on Monday. Bringing at least $100 USD in cash will help you pay for food, transportation or purchasing personal items. Also,  faculty who want to travel during weekends should plan accordingly, since stipends are only meant to cover food expenses.

What is the living cost in Tempe?

You can find more information about the cost of living here: (Cost of Living: ASU Study Abroad Office)

Can we travel to the US before the training?

No, leisure travel before or after the training under this visa designation is not allowed. However, you have the weekends free (Saturday and Sunday) and there are multiple destinations only a one hour flight away from Phoenix. You are allowed to travel on the weekends but make sure to return on Monday morning for training. The closest airport to the training: Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (

Visa Application Process

How will I obtain a Visa to travel to the U.S.?

The HEEAP coordinator will explain the process for applying for a U.S. visa during the departure orientation.

Shall we fill the application form DS-160 before receiving DS-2019 or we have to wait for DS-2019?

You can fill out the DS-160 form once you have the DS-2019 ID Number, which could be emailed to you in advance. However, you cannot attend the Visa appointment until you receive the original DS-2019 Form. You may schedule the appointment in advance, but make sure to give yourselves enough time to receive the actual document before the interview.

When will we receive the DS 2019 form?

The DS-2019 forms will be mailed to the participants’ universities/vocational colleges at least 4 weeks before the departure date from Vietnam to the US.


When do we interview for the U.S. visa? When we go to interview for the U.S. visa, what documents should I bring?

Once you have your DS-2019 Form ID Number, you must fill out a DS-160 Form and then schedule a Visa interview online. You must bring the following documents to your Visa interview:

  • An Identification Document (ID). Your ID must include a picture and cannot be your passport.
  • Signed passport. Passport must have a validity date of at least six months beyond your intended stay in the U.S.
  • DS-160 confirmation page with barcode completed and submitted on-line. (There is no need to print out the full application form, just the confirmation page).
  • One passport size picture taken within the last 6 months on a white background, with your ears visible. Stapled it to the bottom left of DS-160 confirmation page. Please note: your time in line on the day of your interview will be significantly reduced if you’ve uploaded an appropriate photo into the Electronic application form.
  • On-line appointment confirmation page. (Note: if you make duplicate appointments in the system, all your appointments will be cancelled).
  • Original DS-2019 Form (signed by applicants at the bottom of the first page).
  • A visa fee payment receipt.
  • SEVIS fee payment confirmation.
  • Proof of health insurance.

What are common questions asked during the U.S. visa interview?

  • What is the purpose of your trip?
  • How long will you stay there?
  • What is the HEEAP program?
  • Who will pay for the trip?
  • Where will you be staying during your training?
  • Do plan to travel outside of Arizona?
  • Have you travelled to the U.S. before?
  • Do you have any relatives or friends in the U.S.?
  • Are you married?
  • Do you want to stay in the U.S. after your training?

I currently have B1 VISA still valid. Do I still need J-1?

Yes, all HEEAP and VULII faculty traveling to the US must obtain a J-1 visa. There are no J-1 visa waivers being issued by the US Department of State.

Can we leave the country on the weekend?

It is not advisable that you leave the country during training, unless it is an emergency. If absolutely necessary, a faculty can leave the country (with the intentions of returning) only with proper authorization .This special permit takes several weeks to obtain, so participants are strongly discouraged to make any international trips during training.

How long can we stay in the US?

HEEAP participants must leave the US within three days of the end of the program. All trainings will end on a Friday and returning flights will be scheduled to depart the following day. University cohorts have a duration of 6 weeks and Vocational cohorts, a duration of 4 weeks. Participants will only be allowed to stay in the US for the duration of their respective program.